Financial Aid

Financial support from the Department of Chemistry in the form of a Teaching Assistantship is reserved for our Ph.D. students only. All admitted students will be offered a Teaching Assistantship as part of their financial aid package. We do not guarantee financial aid to MS students.

Ph.D. Graduate Assistant Stipend

The Department of chemistry offers a stipend to all full-time Ph.D. students who demonstrate satisfactory progress toward that degree and satisfactory work in teaching or research duties associated with the financial support. Graduate Assistantships provide a nine-month stipend (paid bi-weekly) as well as a tuition waiver and the option to purchase subsidized medical and dental insurance. For the 2021-2022 academic year, graduate assistant stipends are listed below.  Summer stipends are also available for students engaged in on-going research projects.

Description 9 Month
For the graduate assistant with at least the baccalaureate $24,800.30
For experienced graduate assistants with at least the master’s degree or its equivalent in the field of graduate study. (Equivalency consists of thirty course credits of appropriate work beyond the baccalaureate, together with admission to a Ph.D. program) $26,095.68
For students with experience as graduate assistants who have at least the master’s degree or its equivalent and who have passed the general examination for the Ph.D $29,013.08


Teaching Assistantship Appointments

Teaching assistantship appointments are made on a yearly basis and run from August 23 through May 22. These appointments are made at the discretion of the Department Head. A student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better in order to remain eligible for financial support. Teaching assistant duties are assigned by the TA committee. International graduate students who are employed as teaching assistants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language.

Certification of English proficiency may be obtained by meeting one of the following requirements:


a. Speak English as a first language.

b. Submit a valid TOEFL iBT score with a speaking subscore of 27 or higher, or an IELTS speaking band score of 8.0 or higher, a Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) score of 74 or higher. (Students who submit Duolingo Test results will be required to undergo an additional interview screening during the admission review process).

c. Pass the Microteaching Test. This test is administered when you arrive on campus only. You may take the Microteaching test if:

    • Your TOEFL IBT speaking subscore is between 22 and 26
    • Your ITELS score if 7.0 or 7.5 on the speaking band
    • Your PTE score is between 62 and 73

    Research Assistantship

    The research assistantship stipend is the same as that for teaching assistantships. Funds for research assistantships are generated by extramural grants and the responsibility for the administration of these funds rests with the faculty member to whom the grant was made.

    Additional Fellowships and Awards

    Charles E. Waring Memorial Scholarship

    The Waring Scholarship will be awarded to outstanding graduate students in chemistry at the University of Connecticut. Winners will be selected annually from among those students who have completed two or three semesters of graduate study and who have qualified for Ph.D. candidacy. The Scholarship will be awarded by the Graduate Program Committee based on courses taken and grades earned at the graduate level as well as academic and research progress. The Scholarship will be $250.

    Teaching Assistantship Awards

    Each year, Masterton Awards are given to the five most outstanding graduate teaching assistants. These awards consist of $400 each. Four of these awards are awarded to people teaching general chemistry and one award for other courses. Awards are made in the Fall and recipients can only receive the award once. Another award, sponsored by the Division of International Students and Scholars, is also given yearly to the international teaching assistant from the University community who has demonstrated outstanding teaching.

    Connecticut Chemistry Research Award

    The Connecticut Chemistry Research Award will be awarded to one outstanding graduate student in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Connecticut.  Winners will be selected annually from a pool of nomination letters from their major advisor describing research contributions of the student along with a list of publications of the graduate student.

    Outstanding Service and Research Award

    The Outstanding Service and Research Award will be awarded to one outstanding graduate student in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Connecticut.  Winners will be selected annually from a pool of nomination letters from faculty and/or staff describing specific activities or service provided to the department by the student. In addition, a nomination letter from the major advisor will also be submitted describing research contributions of the student, including a list of publications of the graduate student.

    Excellence Service Award

    The Excellence in Service award will be awarded to one outstanding graduate student in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Connecticut.  Winners will be selected annually from a pool of candidates nominated by a faculty or staff member describing outstanding service over and beyond normal expectations.

    Bobbitt-Chou Graduate Summer Research Fellowship

    The Bobbitt-Chou Graduate Summer Research Fellowship recognizes early accomplishment in a student’s graduate studies and the promise of continued success. One student entering their third summer of research will be awarded a $3,500 fellowship. The fellowship will be awarded based on course grades and a letter from the primary research advisor. The letter should specifically address the technical abilities of the student and his/her conceptual ownership and creative contributions to the research project.

    Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships

    Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships of $2,000 per semester (or summer) are awarded by the UConn Graduate School. A student may receive the fellowship only once. Students who have completed the General Examination apply for this Fellowship by submission of a proposal describing their thesis research (often a copy of one’s dissertation prospectus) to the Department Head. Details of application procedure, content of proposals, deadlines, etc. are available from the UConn Graduate School. Students should discuss Fellowship application with their advisor.

    Travel Award

    Doctoral students who have completed at least 30 credits toward his/her degree program may apply for an $750 travel award to present their research at a conference. All applicants must fill out a Doctoral Student Request for Travel form through the Graduate School. Awards are based upon available funding each semester.

    More Information

    For additional information on fees, financial assistance, and resources, refer to UConn’s Student Consumer Information page.