Applicant FAQs | Accepted Student FAQs

Applicant FAQs

For U.S. Citizens/Permanent residents: GRE scores are not required. The Subject GREs are also not required. However, both scores can be useful when comparing applications.

For International students: General GRE scores are required. However, Subject GREs are not required. Subject GRE scores can be useful when comparing applications.

As long as you have earned a degree from a U.S. school, you will not have to submit a TOEFL score. However, if you are admitted and awarded a Teaching Assistantship position, you will have to pass the PhonePass Set 10 exam when you arrive at UConn in order to gain certification for teaching. The University requires all international students to obtain a score of at least a 213 (CBT) or 550 (paper based exam) or 80 (iBT) on the TOEFL exam in order to be considered for all graduate programs at UConn. In exchange of the TOEFL exam, the University will accept a score of at least 6.5 on the IELTS. Only the scores from the Academic Module, not the General Training Module, are applicable.

Note on Teaching Assistant positions: The ITA Program at the University of Connecticut will assess the oral English proficiency of all TA candidates whose native language is not English, regardless of visa status or citizenship (see ITAP for details).

Certification of English proficiency may be obtained by meeting one of the following requirements:

A. Speak English as a first language.
B. Submit a valid TOEFL iBT score with a speaking subscore of 27 or higher, or an IELTS speaking band score of 8.0 or higher, or a Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) score of 74 or higher.
C. Pass the Microteaching Test. This test is administered when you arrive on campus only.
You may take the Microteaching test if:
A. Your TOEFL IBT speaking subscore is between 23 and 26
B. Your ITELS score if 7.0 or 7.5 on the speaking band
C. Your PTE score is between 62 and 73

If you do not meet any of the minimum requirements above, you could still be admitted with financial aid, but will be required to enroll in a recommended UCAELI English course before you will be allowed to take a Microteaching test.

In all cases, your submitted test results must be no more than two years old.

The department does not support recommendation forms for our application. Please ask your recommenders to send us a letter describing why they believe you would make a great candidate for our graduate program.

Yes, emailed letters are accepted if they come directly from the author and from a professional e-mail address (hotmail, yahoo, gmail type addresses are not acceptable).

Alternatively, you may ask your recommenders to send the letters directly to you in sealed envelopes, not to UConn*.

*Ask the recommenders to sign across the seal.

*Do not open the envelopes or break the seals.

*Mail the letters to the Chemistry Department in the same package as your official transcripts and degree certificates.

The Chemistry Department does not enforce an application deadline. The dates listed on the Graduate School’s website are suggested dates. However, we recommend that you submit your materials as soon as possible, as we receive many more qualified applications than we have space for in our program, and once our class for the semester is full, all applications will be placed on our waiting list for that semester. Suggested deadlines are February 1st for admission to the Fall semester and October 1st for admission to the Spring semester.
No. Due to the University’s privacy policy, we cannot provide information to you about someone else’s application.
The Chemistry department only admits students into our program for the Fall and Spring semesters. However, for students already in the U.S., it may be possible to start research work with a faculty member during the summer before enrolling in our program. If you have been admitted to our program and are interested in working in a research lab during the summer before you start classes, please contact the faculty member you are interested in working for to see if they have space for you in their lab that summer.
Completed applications are reviewed in the order they are received. It typically takes 2-4 weeks for an application to be reviewed and a decision to be reached by the Graduate Committee. Decisions are sent out as soon as they are available.
Yes, you do not have to have to earn an M.S. degree before enrolling in our Ph.D. Program.
The Graduate School requires all applicants to have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the entire undergraduate record, or 3.0 for the last two years, or excellent work in the entire final year. The grade point average is computed on the basis of the following scale: A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, C=1.0 F=0. Applicants from foreign colleges and universities must meet equivalent standards of eligibility and are expected to submit official transcripts showing all work completed. All advanced post-baccalaureate course work is considered as well.
The Graduate Committee will review your application. However, it is strongly encouraged that you have completed at least 2 semesters of organic chemistry, 2 semesters of physical chemistry (and all necessary calculus and physics courses), along with one semester of both analytical and inorganic chemistry.
Yes, you could earn an M.S. or Ph.D. degree part-time. However, at this time, we do not offer classes at night or on the weekends. In addition, you are not eligible for an assistantship if you are not enrolled as a full-time student.
All Graduate Chemistry courses are held on the UConn Storrs campus. Classes are held during normal business hours, on weekdays only. At this time, we do not offer graduate courses at night or on the weekends.
Yes, if this advisor will guarantee your financial support and he/she agrees to admit you directly into his/her research group, you can be admitted under that person’s advisement. Otherwise, all graduate students are admitted under the advisement of the Graduate Committee (specifically Dr. José Gascón) and are required to choose a major advisor by the beginning of November (for Fall admits) or beginning of March (for Spring admits).

Accepted Student FAQs

Yes, you will be able to choose you major advisor during your first semester in the Chemistry program. All students are assigned to Dr. Gascón when they are admitted to our program and you will be asked to choose your major advisor by the 3 months of your first semester (Fall admits: November. Spring admits: March).
Classes will begin on Monday, August 29, 2016. However, the Chemistry Department’s orientation program will begin on Monday, August 8th and will continue over the next 3 weeks. During the Chemistry Department’s orientation program, you will be taking the 4 proficiency exams, registering for classes, learning University policies, have an introduction to various services on campus, and learn how to be a teaching assistant for the department. For the Spring 2016 semester, students should arrive at UConn by January 5th. (These dates are subject to change. Admitted students will be notified by e-mail as to the exact date).
Fall Orientation is scheduled for 3 weeks because all Ph.D. students are required to take 4 proficiency exams (Organic, Inorganic, Analytical, and Physical), register for classes, fill out payroll documents, and attend a 2-day orientation program for new Teaching Assistants. Other departmental events are scheduled for this time also. There is just too much to take care of to fit orientation into a few days. Spring Orientation is only 5 days long. However, all students who join during the Spring semester will be required to attend the full orientation program in the Fall. There is just not enough time to cover everything during the Spring orientation program. In addition, all international students must attend a University required orientation, which takes place in between the department’s orientation program.
Teaching Assistantships or Research Assistantships, or a combination of both, are typically offered to Ph.D. Students. The Chemistry Department typically does not offer financial aid to M.S. students. Domestic students may apply for Federal Financial aid, which can help supplement a TA or RA.
Students may visit the department at any point during the application process. Please contact Graduate Program Coordinator Emilie Hogrebe to schedule a visit. Visits are only conducted during the week. Please do not request a meeting with a professor on the weekend, unless you have personally arranged to meet with the professor.
The Graduate School will allow you to transfer up to 6 credits of course work as long as you have not already used those courses to earn a previous degree. You can do this once you enroll in our program and fill out a plan of study. Please bring your course syllabus to show what materials your course covered so we can find an appropriate UConn course to match.
Students who have entered the Ph.D. program without a M.S. degree will need to earn at least 30 course credits. Students who have already earned an M.S. degree before enrolling in the Ph.D. program must earn between 21-24 credits. Your major advisor and your advisory committee will determine the actual number.
Plan A Masters requires 15 course credits, 9 credits of dissertation research (Grad 5950), and a thesis. Plan B Masters requires 24 course credits and no thesis.
To be considered as a full-time graduate student, one must in enroll in 9 course credits per semester. However, if you hold a Graduate Assistantship (RA or TA or TA/RA), you only need to enroll in 6 credits to be considered full-time.
M.S. Plan A requires at least 15 credits of course work, 9 credits of Master’s Thesis Research (GRAD 5950), and the writing and defense of a thesis. M.S. Plan B requires at least 24 credits of coursework, a final examination, but no thesis. In either case, advisory committees may require more than the minimum number of credits.