Financial Aid

UConn's Office of Student Financial Aid Services provides resources for scholarships, grants, loans, need-based financial aid, veteran's benefits, and student employment. Financial aid, including grants and loans, is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents.

Visit UConn's Office of Financial Aid Services for more information and to learn about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Ph.D. Graduate Assistant Stipend

The department offers a stipend to all full-time Ph.D. students who demonstrate satisfactory progress toward that degree and satisfactory work in teaching or research duties associated with the financial support. This stipend includes fringe benefits and waiver of tuition and is detailed in the acceptance letters sent out by the Department. Financial support from the Department is awarded on a yearly basis but it is not guaranteed. For 2014-2015 academic year, graduate assistant stipends are listed below. In addition, most graduate students will receive Summer support.

Description 9 Month
For the graduate assistant with at least the baccalaureate $21,594.89
For experienced graduate assistants with at least the master’s degree or its equivalent in the field of graduate study. (Equivalency consists of twenty-four credits of appropriate course work beyond the baccalaureate, together with admission to a Ph.D. program) $22,722.77
For students with experience as graduate assistants who have at least the master’s degree or its equivalent and who have passed the general examination for the Ph.D $25,262.25


Teaching Assistantship Appointments

Teaching assistantship appointments are made on a yearly basis and run from August 23 through May 22. These appointments are made at the discretion of the Department Head. A student must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better in order to remain eligible for financial support. Teaching assistant duties are assigned by the TA committee. International graduate students who are employed as teaching assistants must demonstrate proficiency in the English language.

Certification of English proficiency may be obtained by meeting one of the following requirements:
A. Speak English as a first language.
B. Submit a valid TOEFL iBT score with a speaking subscore of 27 or higher, or an IELTS speaking band score of 8.0 or higher, a Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) score of 74 or higher.
C. Pass the Microteaching Test. This test is administered when you arrive on campus only.
You may take the Microteaching test if:
A. Your TOEFL IBT speaking subscore is between 23 and 26
B. Your ITELS score if 7.0 or 7.5 on the speaking band
C. Your PTE score is between 62 and 73

Research Assistantship

The research assistantship stipend is the same as that for teaching assistantships. Funds for research assistantships are generated by extramural grants and the responsibility for the administration of these funds rests with the faculty member to whom the grant was made.

Fellowships and Awards

Charles E. Waring Memorial Scholarship

The Waring Scholarship will be awarded to outstanding graduate students in chemistry at the University of Connecticut. Winners will be selected annually from among those students who have completed two or three semesters of graduate study and who have qualified for Ph.D. candidacy. The Scholarship will be awarded by the Graduate Affairs Committee based on courses taken and grades earned at the graduate level as well as academic and research progress. The Scholarship will be $250.

Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships

Doctoral Dissertation Fellowships of $2,000 per semester (or summer) are awarded by the UConn Graduate School. A student may receive the fellowship only once. Students who have completed the General Examination apply for this Fellowship by submission of a proposal describing their thesis research (often a copy of one's dissertation prospectus) to the Department Head. Details of application procedure, content of proposals, deadlines, etc. are available from the UConn Graduate School. Students should discuss Fellowship application with their advisor.

Teaching Assistantship Awards

Each year, Masterton Awards are given to the five most outstanding graduate teaching assistants. These awards consist of $400 each. Four of these awards are awarded to people teaching general chemistry and one award for other courses. Awards are made in the Fall and recipients can only receive the award once. Another award, sponsored by the Division of International Students and Scholars, is also given yearly to the international teaching assistant from the University community who has demonstrated outstanding teaching.

Travel Award

Doctoral students who have completed at least 30 credits toward his/her degree program may apply for an $1000 travel award to present their research at a conference. All applicants must fill out a Doctoral Student Request for Travel form through the Graduate School. Awards are based upon available funding each semester.

More Information

For additional information on fees, financial assistance, and resources, refer to UConn's Bursar's Office.