Graduate Admissions

The Department of Chemistry welcomes applicants to our Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programs.

Fall Application Deadline


February 1


If you would like to be considered for one of the Graduate School’s Internal Fellowship Awards (Jorgensen Fellowship, Harriott Fellowship, or Crandall Fellowship), you must apply by January 1.

For more information, contact Graduate Program Administrator Jill Bouchard.

Application Requirements

1) Complete and submit your electronic application.

Complete and submit your electronic application. You will be asked to provide a valid credit card (Discover, Mastercard, or Visa) for payment of the electronic application fee when you submit your application. Please use the information below for your application:

  • Intended Program:
    • Area → Natural Sciences
    • Field of Study → Chemistry MS or Chemistry PhD
    • Campus → Storrs

2) Compile your documents.

  • Upload a copy of your transcript/appropriate required documentation into the application system.
  • AFTER submitting your application, please request an official transcript from each college/university you attended and have it mailed to:

University of Connecticut
Graduate School, Unit 1152
438 Whitney Road Extension
Storrs, CT 06269-1152

  • Individual/yearly mark sheets (courses and grades, not hours) are required for students who complete their education in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, or Sri Lanka. This should also be uploaded into the online application system.
  • If you completed a degree and that fact is not contained in your transcript, then we also need an official copy of your degree certificate or diploma. This should also be uploaded into the online application system.
  • Failure to submit transcripts from all educational institutions, regardless of whether or not a degree was received, may be grounds for cancellation of admission.
  • We do not consider 3 year bachelor’s degrees from India, Canada, Australia, Sri Lanka and certain other countries to be equivalent to a 4 year US bachelor’s degree.  While we do accept outside credential evaluations from NACES members, if the degree is a 3 year bachelor's degree from India, Canada, Australia, Sri Lanka or other certain other countries, we will not consider the degree to be equivalent with a 4 year US bachelor's degree.

3) GRE general and GRE subject scores are not required.

GRE general and GRE subject scores are not required.

However, if you do choose to send your scores to UConn, GRE scores will only be accepted when sent electronically through ETS. GRE scores are only valid for five years (from original test date to submission of UConn application).

The GRE code for UConn Storrs is 3915.

4) International Students must complete a Test of English Proficiency. If you are not a native speaker of English, you must submit evidence of your proficiency in the English Language.

5) Upload your Résumé/Curriculum Vitae.

Upload a copy of your résumé or curriculum vitae through your electronic application.

6) Compose and upload your Personal Statement.

  • This document should tell your program's admissions committee all you would like to reveal in a personal interview.
  • Include your reasons for undertaking graduate work, your ultimate plans, and how you happened to select your desired field. Details about your preparation, your strengths and weaknesses as a student, any academic honors, scholarships, or fellowships you have received, will all be helpful.
  • The committee wants to know those things about you that cannot be expressed quantitatively.

7) Request at least 3 letters of recommendation.

  • There is no specific Graduate School form for letters of recommendation.
  • Recommenders should upload their letters online through the Graduate School's application.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Application Deadline?

The Chemistry Department admits students on a rolling admission basis. However, applications submitted on or before February 1st will receive priority during the admissions review cycle. We do not refuse applications that are not complete at the deadline, however, a significant delay in submitting application materials could affect your chances of being admitted.

If you wish to be considered for a UConn Graduate School Fellowship (Jorgensen Fellowship, Harriot Fellowship, or Crandall Fellowship), you must submit your application and have all materials uploaded in the Graduate School's application system by January 1st. 

Are GREs Required? What is the cut-off score?

No, the GRE general and GRE subject scores are not required.

I can’t find a recommendation form on your website. Where can I download this form?

The Chemistry Department does not offer a form for letters of recommendation. Please ask your recommenders to submit their letter through the online application recommendation system. Once you enter their name and email address into your application, they will receive an email link to upload their letter. The Chemistry Department does not accept paper recommendation letters.

I am interested in a Ph.D. degree, but have not yet earned an MS degree. Can I apply to the Ph.D. program?

Yes, you do not have to have an MS degree before enrolling in our Ph.D. program.

My cumulative GPA is below a 3.0. Can I still be admitted to your program?

The Graduate School requires all applicants to have at least a cumulative GPA of 3.0 for the entire undergraduate record, or 3.0 GPA for the last two years, or excellent work in the entire final year (at least 3.5 GPA). The grade point average is computed on the basis of the following scale: A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0, F=0.0. Applicants from foreign colleges and universities must meet equivalent standards of eligibility and are expected to submit official transcripts showing all work completed. All advanced post-Baccalaureate course work is considered as well.

I have a BS degree in Biology/History/Education, etc. and I want to enroll in the Chemistry MS or Ph.D. program. Will you accept me?

In order to qualify for admission to our graduate program, we require all applicants to have the following undergraduate courses:

  • General chemistry - 2 semesters, plus lab
  • Organic chemistry - 2 semesters plus 1 semester of lab
  • Physical chemistry - 2 semesters plus lab (including all prerequisite requirements of Calculus 1 and 2, multi-variable calculus, and differential equations and 2-3 semesters of physics)
  • Analytical chemistry - 1 semester (2 semesters plus lab recommended)
  • Inorganic chemistry - 1 semester (2 semesters plus lab recommended)

Can I earn an MS or Ph.D. degree part-time?

Yes, you can earn an MS or Ph.D. degree part-time. However, we do not offer classes at night or on the weekends,. In addition, you are not eligible for an assistantship if you are a part-time student.

I want to work for a specific professor. Can I be admitted directly into his/her research group?

Yes, if this adviser will guarantee your financial support and he/she agrees to admit you directly into his/her research group. Otherwise, all graduate students are admitted under the advisement of the Graduate Admission Committee (specifically Dr. Angeles-Boza for Fall 2022) and are required to choose a major adviser by the end of November (for fall admits).

My friend/sister/spouse applied to your department. Can you tell me their application status?

No, due to the University's privacy policy, we cannot provide information to you about someone else's application.

When will I be notified if I was admitted or not?

Application decisions will be sent out in early March. Official notifications will be sent by the Graduate School. Once an official decision has been made, the applicant will receive an email asking them to log on to the online application system to view the decision.